Thursday, June 25, 2009

Yummy crackers, French style

This is the hardest time, I'm told: Before you go, before you know where you'll stay, what you'll take or what awaits you. Thank goodness I practice qi gong! Its quieting movements and meditations help guide me through the chaos to a place, if not of calm, of more calm than I'd otherwise have. Prayer helps, too, of course. And my brother has been my angel, helping at every step of the way. Thank you, Paul!
Today the tenant for my house in Seattle signs the lease. That means that no matter what happens, I'm launched. Even if I were to cancel school (no, I won't! but you can bet it has occurred to me!), I'm still going to have to vacate my house for a year. I'll be gone from this house my father and uncle built, the house where I grew up and where I returned as an adult to find solace and healing. Thank you, Daddy, for your loving gift of shelter.
Not eating too well right now. Too much stress, too little time. But I did manage to crank out a couple batches of a cracker the French call croustillant ("crusty")and reportedly munch with a kir or a nice glass of wine. For an olive-themed party last week, I made them with chopped green olives -- and they all disappeared.

Croustillants
(adapted from Williams-Sonoma's Paris)
2 cups (250 grams) shredded Comté or Gruyère
1/2 c (60 grams) grated Parmegiano Reggiano
5-6 tablespoons (90 grams) unsalted butter, depending on fat content
1 cup (155 grams) unbleached flour
Piment d'Espelette (Basque pepper, available at specialty stores)
2-3 tablespoons finely minced fresh chives
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel (available at specialty stores)

Combine cheese, butter and flour in a food processor until crumbly (but before dough forms a ball; you want it to stay tender). Form dough into a firm roll about 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter, roll tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least two hours, until it is very firm and can be cut without crumbling.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (180 centigrade). Slice the dough no more than a scant 1/4 inch thick, slicing no more than you need for each batch, and return remaining dough to refrigerator. Space rounds one inch (2.5 cm) apart on parchment paper or non-stick baking sheets, sprinkle with just enough piment d'Espelette grains to give a touch of color, then with a tiny bit of chives and a few grains of fleur de sel.
Bake about 15 minutes, until golden brown and edges just start to brown. Halfway through baking, turn cookie sheet around to expose other side to the heat, for even baking.
Cool slightly on rack -- just enough to eat without burning your mouth, then eat at once! Bon appetit!
Variation: Add 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped, well-drained and patted-dry olives to the dough after it is mixed but before it is refrigerated. This may require longer refrigeration. If you wish, you may want to eliminate piment d'Espelette and chives from this variation.

No comments:

Post a Comment