Thursday, August 6, 2009

Almost gone...with a place to go to. Sort of

The call came at 6 a.m. this morning. S, the friend of a friend, had found a "little jewel" of an apartment for me in Paris! I had to let her know on the spot if I wanted it, sight unseen. Not even pictures. Close to Cordon Bleu. With a balcony. Clean. Good kitchen. Good price. I told her yes, if I could cancel the contract after I got there. She checked and phoned back. Yes, I could. I plunged and told her to take it.

Then I caught my breath. I checked my email. The day before, I had just decided to take a temporary place in Paris while I looked for an apartment in person. That decision felt very comfortable, given my sensitivity to my surroundings. I had inquired about some apartments that could be rented by the week, or for a month only.

Now, in my emailbox, was a response from a rental agency, confirming the availability of a one-month rental. But it was not much and quite expensive, especially given the agency fees and the deposit. Besides, the industrious S had offered some temporary alternatives: Stay a few days with her neighbor, or with her daughter's friend who was alone in a four-bedroom place until the end of September. My cat would be welcome at either place.

I consulted the I Ching, my sage. The apartment S found would suffice for the short, short term -- only to September! Then there would be problems. Hmmm. I sat for awhile and weighed my options and took note of my discomfort with this proposal.

Then I called S back. Many, many thanks for all her work (she had seen at least 10 places on my behalf! during her vacation! just before moving her family to Martinique!) Please cancel the apartment. And could I stay with her daughter's friend and help with the rent? Yes, of course, for a few hundred euros. Done.
I have yet to hear where the apartment is, even the name of the daughter's friend. It really doesn't matter. The temporary place will welcome me and Samantha and I'll get a chance to meet a young lady who, if she is even half as nice as S and S's daughter, will clearly be a jewel herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment