Thursday, June 16, 2011

Another backyard bonus -- Lemon Balm Sorbet

My mother loved her lemon balm, crushing it between her arthritic fingers and sighing at the light, lemony scent it released. When I purchased my parents house and started fixing up the house and yard, I saw lemon balm as a weed, staking out a claim on one corner of the yard and using it as a base to claim the entire territory of the back yard.
Then I realized I could eat it. It could be used as a tea, one that calmed the soul, aided digestion and even offered anti-viral properties. With time and effort, it could substitute for lemon in dishes ranging from roast chicken to sorbets. While I'm not sure if a lemon balm sorbet will banish the common cold, it certainly sounds a lot more tempting than any alternative I can dream up. And how much more locavore can you get than your own backyard?
So...lemon balm sorbet, adapted from Ginette Mathiot's I Know How to Cook.
Lemon Balm Sorbet

A very light, almost translucent sorbet of almost no color. Refreshing and sweet.

Handful of lemon balm stems at least an inches in diameter, leaves only
Juice of two Valencia oranges
1-3/4 cups sugar
4 cups pure water

Put all ingredients in a pan with water and quickly bring to a boil. Cover, remove from heat and infuse for 10 minutes. Cool. Strain.
Chill in refrigerator, then put in freezer until ice crystals form and mixture starts to solidify. Put into ice-cream maker and churn until frozen.

Makes about 6 large portions
Note:
It will be fairly soft and almost dry at first. Tastes best within first 12 hours after making.

No comments:

Post a Comment